Re: [K12OSN] D Day

On Jun 4, 2004, at 10:26 AM, Julius Szelagiewicz wrote:

I happen to work for a growing computer retail chain and Linux is used
extensively throughout the business. Besides having an HP-UX box
running custom POS software, the Wyse60 terminals used as registers
were replaced a few years ago with flex-atx PCs that pxe boot from a
RedHat 6.2 box in the back that also acts as an internal web server and
proxy. Except for a few human glitches, this system has worked
flawlessly and allowed the company to implement electronic signature
capture when credit card purchases are made. I know that if a keyboard
fails or a monitor goes out, it is much cheaper to replace a keyboard
now from shelf stock than waiting on a replacement for a Wyse keyboard.
And with the openness of the system, the implementation of thermal
receipt printers was achievable.

Paul,
 would you happen to know how they do the signature capture? julius
Unfortunately I don't. I believe they are serial devices with a LCD screen. I'll try and take a closer look at exactly what make and model is being used if you like. As far as sharing valuable information, the corporate office would even let us use nor the IT give us the custom Wyse terminal emulator they wrote for the registers. Our store wanted to get rid of windows on the sales floor workstations but nothing available for Linux would do the emulation that Procom would. I was even lucky enough to talk to the person who wrote the emulator when he was in the store to do a hardware upgrade.

Paul