Re: [K12OSN] Repost: KStars downloaded images blank

Do you by any chance have a thin client with any other type of video card? You're right; if they're just GIFs and JPEGs, they should display just fine. Also, if you go Web surfing on your clients, do the GIFs and JPEGs display properly? When you save these images from within KStars, can you view them with, say, Kuickshow, Electric Eyes, or The GIMP on your clients?

--TP

Robert Arkiletian wrote:

Right clicking on a heavenly body in KStars will usually bring up the "Show SEDS image" option. The image downloads but it will not display with KStars. The image window is blank.

I can save the image okay, though. This problem only exists on my clients. They are all nvidia riva 128's. However, on the server which has an on board ATI rage pro chip the images appear properly (regardless if I log in as root or a user). However, on the clients, even as root I do not get an image (just black space in the image window)

So it's not a permission problem. I figure it must be a problem with XF86Config for the clients and server being different.

I have enabled 24 bit color (as the riva 128 can't do 16 with xfree86 4.3) and set XSERVER = auto in lts.conf. I even tried XSERVER = nv, no luck. The damn images are just gif's and jpg's. Any video card should be able to display them.

I looked at top (interactive A option) and I found the program was ----------kdeinit------------ that was trying to display the images. I don't know anything about kdeinit but it must somehow call an image viewing mechanism. Somehow the client xserver is not able to display the downloaded image with kdeinit.

Can someone try to view these celestial SEDS images on their clients and confirm this behavior??? KStars is an awsome program worth the effort.

Do I need any modules loaded with Xfree86? Anyone have any ideas to solve this issue.

BTW I'm using k12ltsp 3.1.2

Robert Arkiletian
Eric Hamber Secondary