[K12OSN] duplex problem with new switch

Gentgeen gentgeen at linuxmail.org
Fri Jun 4 23:30:28 UTC 2004

Recently we had a switch go down in the school, so the our tech guy had
to take the schools one out of my room and I have to use an older
donated one.  Since then I have run into a small problem.

First I want to appogize for some of the missing details, I forgot to
write everything down that I needed before I left school.  It is
graduation night, and I needed to get home, so I could get back :-)

The switch I am now using is an older Cysco switch.  One 100MB port (for
server) and 24 10MB port for the terminal.  I use 7 of the 24 ports.
The switch is a Catalyst (sp??) model, and I do not have the necessary
wires or information to change any of the current settings.  Almost all
of the terminals are using 10MB NICs, so when we made the trade, I
really did not thing there would be much of a slow down, even though the
schools switch was all 100MB ports.  But there where some major
slowdowns.  When I checked the logs, there was a lot of crap repeated
over and over again, all starting with something about the duplex
setting on eth0, the card that connects to the switch.

After some research, I found that if removed the module, then ran
'insmod 3c59x debug=1 options=4 full_duplex=1' everthing worked fine
again.   Unfortunatly, this affects both NICs, the onboard eth1 and the
PCI card eth0, and I do not know what kind of crazyness this may be
causing to the schools network.  I can't change either of the cards
since one is on-board and school only has one kind of PCI NICs  I also
do not want to have to go thought the process evert time I restart the
server.  So I edited the one line in '/etc/modules.conf' file to say
'alias eth0 3c59x debug=1 options=4 full_duplex=1' thinking that would
work, but it didn't.

So at this point I am lost.  Where can I but those options so that it
works on boot-up, but does not mess with eth1?

Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own
reputation; for 'tis better to be alone then in bad company.
                    - George Washington, Rules of Civility