[K12OSN] duplex problem with new switch

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Sat Jun 5 15:57:25 UTC 2004

On Sat, 2004-06-05 at 08:20, Terrell Prude', Jr. wrote:

> Here's another way, if you're on good terms w/ the network folks:  just
> lock down whatever switch port to 100M/FDX that eth1's sitting on.
> That's how we do it for our SASIxp servers.

When you lock one end of the connection it no longer negotiates and the
other end has to assume half-duplex.  I'd guess that is the
problem now.  Some of the really old Cisco switches had problems
with automatic negotiation so locking both ends became the
recommended solution.  These days I'd recommend replacing
anything that doesn't get it right.

Anyway, if you want to check or change the setting on the
Linux side after booting, use the mii-tool program.

---
  Les Mikesell
   les at futuresource.com