Re: [K12OSN] Fedora 2 vs WB3 or RHE3 and old proxy by-pass prob

On Sun, 6 Jun 2004, Terrell Prude', Jr. wrote:
> k12osn collinsoft com wrote:
> >This still won't stop someone from running an anonymous proxy service that
> >acts as a website. I'm not familiar with circumventor at all, but I have
> >seen software where you surf to the website running on a home machine, it
> >asks for a url, and it sends the page to you, bypassing any filtering you
> >might have done. A good example on how this works would be
> >http://www.anonymizer.com/ (which should be blocked in your filtering
> >software!).
>
> You're absolutely correct; someone can do all of that. However, it'll
> show up in your logs (you are checking your logs, right? :-) ), and you
> can block that site, either from within
> DansGuardian/squidGuard/whatever, or on your packet filter, the same way
> you block www.anonymizer.com. Not sure if you're about to block a "real"
> Web site? nslookup and whois can be your friends here.
>
> Oh, by the way, as it shows up in the logs, you can coordinate that with
> the source IP address, i. e. the client box, thus narrowing down which
> school, which switch port, therefore which drop in which room, at what
> time, and you have nailed that kid. I've had to do this kind of thing
> many times, and we do run DHCP w/ private IP addresses, and yes, I am
> successful nearly every time. Not that I'm particularly brilliant; it
> just ain't that hard. ;-)

I do go through the logs, but sometimes I will miss things (especially
when our log files are around 100MB a week. :-)

Anyway, I think we both agree technology can solve 99% of this problem,
the other 1% is vigilant enforcement!

--
Ryan Collins
Technology Coordinator - Kenton City Schools