Re: [K12OSN] Adding users on multiple ltsp servers

Pete,

This set up is not concrete. However the bandwidth between the locations is ISDN and I can't change that for some time. The ltsp servers are going into an already functioning network and the complete roll out is based on the initial 60 days after I install the first two servers. This gives me a good amount of time to work out the kinks and make adjustments. I set up the origional network 3 years ago with RedHat 6.2 and it works like a charm. However back then all of the workstations on the network were dumb terminals with one or two Windows PC's here and there. Over time they have replaced the dumb terminals with PC's and don't have a clue on keeping them selves up to date. When we suggested LTSP they thought about it quite hard, Then they got hit with a virus and spent a week trying to fix something and then had to throw money at the problem. This put them over the edge and they wanted to give this a try. I have considered many options with this setup, but in the end I have some specific things that I want to keep the same.

I can't switch to higher bandwidth connections as it is not available for all locations and where it is available the telco requires they maintain the network (for a monthly fee). Oh and they only support MS Windows.

I want the end user to be able to create accounts on the existing machine and make the duplication on the ltsp servers transparent. The main reason being that I don't want the end users tweaking/breaking the ltsp server. I can script or config by hand the initial setup and rsync the files there after.

We have already decided to restrict files that are synced between machines and in the name of "The Corporate Network" users will be very restricted on what products they have access to.

To this end the five servers are almost identical, except they reside on different subnets for bandwidth control. This means that several of the ltsp config files need to be changed to deal with the subnet scheme I have configured. By the way thanks for the pointers on changing /etc/dhcpd.conf to accommodate specifying alternate ltsp vs dhcp servers.

So I think I am somewhat limited on the options. I have opted to use my existing dhcp server (10.0.0.1) and a single NIC in each LTSP box. I have five subnets (10.0.[01234].0) and plan on adding the lstp box as 10.0.x.9 at each site. I am hoping that I can get squid to still work with this setup. Thankfully the network is for non technical adult users so they are not likely to work out how to get around that.

So that's where things sit right now. It could change, but not much as I have to get this working in two days.

Lewis