Re: [K12OSN] Tell me why this doesn't work

Another option is using webmin and using the clustering users and groups function of webmin. I have one machine that does all my files with users. That machine does a nfs share of the /home directories to another a k12ltsp 4.0.1 server. I used the clustering users & groups and transferred all users with uid's above 500 to the k12ltsp. I mounted the /home on my k12ltsp and good to go. I'll like to get openldap working myself since as you can see by my signature, I handle a bit, and with ldap in combination with samba and netatalk, I could manage and utilitize my server resources and users more effectively. Unfortunately, time isn't in my favor.

Not quite an answer to your samba/ldap, but another option I guess.

David Trask wrote:
Tell me why this doesn't work...one server....two nics.....one nic goes to
a 192.x.x.x network which is directly connected to an LTSP server and so
forth.  Nic #2 is connected to the 10.x.x.x network which is predominantly
Windows.   /home is exported via NFS to the LTSP box.  The LTSP box is set
up to auth to the server in question.  Server is also PDC for Windows
(Samba) domain.  So....what's the need for Samba/LDAP?  If everything
co-exists on one machine is Samba/LDAP necessary?  I'm not knocking
Samba/LDAP.....I'm running it and plan to keep doing so, but I'm
wondering.....

David N. Trask
Technology Teacher/Coordinator
Vassalboro Community School
dtrask vcs u52 k12 me us
(207)923-3100

-- Eric Feldhusen Network Administrator for Adams, Chassell, Dollar Bay, and Lake Linden Public Schools

email: eric remc1 k12 mi us