RE: [K12OSN] KDE menu editing

At 22:23 07/06/2004, you wrote:
 What I want to do is create some sort of default so that all users' menus
will be changed.  I cannot seem to find where / how the defaults are
created.  I guess I person could edit one test account and then save those
.kde files to /etc/skel .... but there are so many files that change, it is
difficult to determine what actually needs to be moved to skel and what just
gets in the way.  When playing with other kde settings, some of the files
moved /etc/skel later cause conflicts.

I setup one user with all the desktop and menu settings that I want the other users to have (ie one user is setup to become the defaults for the others). I then copy to /etc/skel the directories .kde, .opera, .mozilla and .phoenix; we give the users a choice of four web browers but unless you have opera, mozilla or firefox installed, you can ignore the browser stuff. In both the .mozilla and .phoenix dirs you need to remove appreg. When a new user is created, the menu and desktop settings are replicated. One extra thing that you must do when the new user is created is need to set the correct path in pref.js (.mozilla and .phoenix in the new users home dir), which is easy with a bit of sed. I know the way that I treat mozilla & firefox is not the recommended method but the "approved" method is far to fiddley.

I've used this method on both RH9 & Fedora 1 successfully and while it works for me, YMMV.
Regards
Martin Woolley
ICT Support
Handsworth Grammar School

and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email in error please notify postmaster bgfl org

The views expressed within this email are those of the individual, and not necessarily those of the organisation