[K12OSN] Tell me why this doesn't work

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Tue Jun 8 13:36:11 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-06-07 at 18:33, David Trask wrote:
> Tell me why this doesn't work...one server....two nics.....one nic goes to
> a 192.x.x.x network which is directly connected to an LTSP server and so
> forth.  Nic #2 is connected to the 10.x.x.x network which is predominantly
> Windows.   /home is exported via NFS to the LTSP box.  The LTSP box is set
> up to auth to the server in question.  Server is also PDC for Windows
> (Samba) domain.  So....what's the need for Samba/LDAP?  If everything
> co-exists on one machine is Samba/LDAP necessary?  I'm not knocking
> Samba/LDAP.....I'm running it and plan to keep doing so, but I'm
> wondering.....

If you have more than one server involved (ltsp and /homes) you
need to create the accounts on both with smb authentication
although you only have to maintain the password on the
authentication server.  I think you could add NIS to the
mix to export the unix account info from the master and
still use smb authentication, or winbind if the master
is a windows PDC.  I'm still waiting for someone to package
LDAP with a good management tool and the right schemas for
Posix/Samba accounts and email delivery.

---
  Les Mikesell
   les at futuresource.com