From: cliebow downeast net [mailto:cliebow downeast net]
Sent: 09 June 2004 15:02
To: Support list for opensource software in schools.
Subject: Re: [K12OSN] Add users from file

here is a little piece of script you can adapt

2004.csv the script reads
Brian,Austin,2004,Pa55word,baustin
Colin,Barry,2004,Pa55word,cbarry
Matthew,Becker,2004,Pa55word,mbecker
Nicole,Bickford,2004,Pa55word,nbickfor

cat 2004.csv | while read line; do
first=$(echo $line | cut -f1 -d ',')
last=$(echo $line | cut -f2 -d ',')
year=$(echo $line  | cut -f3 -d ',')
password=$(echo $line | cut -f4 -d ',')
name=$(echo $line | cut -f5 -d ',')
stustaff=$(echo $line | cut -f6 -d ',')
 #ADD Students OR Staff TO CSV

> Does someone know of a script which takes names from a file and automakes
u> sername?

> I have a file with 300 names like so:
>
> John,Smith
>
> I want the script to go through the list and output another file like so:
>
> John Smith,johsm (for example)... Alternatively an output which can be fed
> into the adduser batch in webmin.
>
> Anybody seed something like this?
>
> Regards
> Trond Mæhlum

This email and any attached files are confidential and may
be legally privileged. It is intended solely for the addressee.
Access to this email by anyone else is unauthorised.
If you are not the addressee, any disclosure, reproduction,
copying, distribution, or other dissemination or use of this
communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received
this transmission in error please notify the sender immediately
by telephone at ++353 1 6035800 or email emailadmin iibbank ie
and then delete this email.
Email transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error free
arrive late or incomplete, or contain viruses.The sender therefore
of this message, and shall have no liability for any loss or damage
suffered by the user, which arise as a result of email transmission.
If verification is required please request a hard copy version.