[K12OSN] deleting a 1000 users

troy banther troybanther at plateautel.net
Wed Jun 9 15:55:16 UTC 2004

This is an important question I would love to see answered as well. At
the college level we have users that fluctuate in attendance as well as
users that are eliminated at the end of fiscal reporting cycles.

Thanks!

On Wed, 2004-06-09 at 09:47, Glenn Arnold wrote:
> I set up a 1000 users with webmin with the batch process.  Now I am
> trying to delete the accounts and for some reason webmin would only
> delete 100 of the accounts the reset it would say that user does not
> exist.  I have seen posted on this group on how to automate user
> deletion using userdel, but when I try it I get the following usage
> error "usage: userdel [-r] name".  Below is what I get when I try this.
> The users I want to delete is in delstu6.txt file.   What am I doing
> wrong with this script?
>
> Thanks
> -Glenn
>

>  [root at server garnold]# for x in 'cat delstu6.txt'
> > do userdel -r $x
> > done
> usage: userdel [-r] name

troy banther - avid linux user
http://banther-trx.homeunix.com

Personal views, opinions, visions, thoughts, comments, sarcastic whims,
forecasts, poetic outbursts, cynical wit, future plans, implementation
ideas, OS preference, non-linear thinking, vegan food preferences,
active non-violence, compassionate living, or anything else I might
infer are mine only. Pretty much everything I say, do, think, or imply
with punctuation should be considered my own.