[K12OSN] 853 unread messages...

Tom Brown tbrown at michiana.org
Wed Jun 9 20:01:14 UTC 2004

If K12OSN moves away from the listserv format, we'll probably lose members.
Examples:

1. Michiana Linux Users Group changed its web site from static pages and a
listserv to Drupal (CMS with forums, blogs, etc.). Some members flatly
refused to use the forum based, interactive site and threatened to leave
the organization. Apparently a significant number of folks like the simple
listserv format and don't want to browse for information or check multiple
forums. So MLUG kept the listerv intact, and it is more active than the CMS
forums.

2. The Indiana Green Party had a one-size-fits-all listserv and divided it
into two listservs (announce, discuss). The organization lost a large
percentage of  its subscribers when members had to choose one, the other,
or both lists. Change is a drop-out opportunity.

An advantage of the one-size-fits-all listserv is keeping local searchable
archives. CMS/bb systems are often full text searchable, but nothing beats
an off-line archive for availability and speed -- if you have the local
storage.

Tom