[K12OSN] pxe boot from hard-drive?

Quentin Hartman qhartman at lane.k12.or.us
Wed Jun 9 22:38:27 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-06-09 at 15:04, Huck wrote:
> There was a post from long ago that I scrounged up in the archives
> about taking the boot-rom from http://www.rom-o-matic.com and instead
> of booting from a floppy drive, it said you could somehow, (one said
> copy a .com version of the rom to the HD and reboot), that didn't work
> for me.

I did this by downloading the file from Rom-O-matic that acts like a
Linux kernel. Then, I booted the client machine from a Linux Live CD (I
used a Gentoo Live CD, though any you are comfortable with would work)
and then created a small boot partition on the hard disk and installed a
bootloader (I used grub, but LILO would work as well). Then I just
configured the bootloader to load the file from rom-o-matic just like a
kernel image. It worked great. This also allowed me to easily setup some
of the clients to multi-boot into Windows and local Linux installations.
I know these are broad strokes, if you need more detail, let me know.

--
-Regards-

-Quentin Hartman-

Technology Coordinator