From: k12osn-bounces redhat com [mailto:k12osn-bounces redhat com] On
Behalf Of Les Mikesell
Sent: Friday, June 11, 2004 11:35 AM
To: Support list for opensource software in schools.
Subject: Re: [K12OSN] K12LTSP Over Dialup

On Fri, 2004-06-11 at 10:18, Jim and Kelly Younkin wrote:

I am new to Linux, but I have a project that I believe would be

perfect

for it and my research has pointed me to K12LTSP as the distro that

will

work best, however I have a question about running the thin clients

over

a dialup connection.

I plan to have about 20 remote offices set up as thin clients, with a
dialup connection to a K12LTSP server.  They need to be able to have
internet access, e-mail and office software.

Is performance going to be unbearable over a 56K dialup?  What server
hardware would you recommend for this project?

The whole concept of thin clients requires a fast connection to the
server to work.  If you only have one person at each office,
consider some other topology.  If you have several people at each
office it would work to have a suitably sized local server and
several thin clients at each.  If you just want to avoid
software installs at the remote site you might run a live-CD
linux version like Knoppix.   56k is OK for occasional email
transfers or working in character mode.  It's not fast enough
to run typical GUI programs over or even loading/saving data
for everyday use.  You'll either want DSL/cable modem speeds
for each office, or do most work locally, or special applications
written with low bandwidth in mind.

---
  Les Mikesell
   les futuresource com