Re: [K12OSN] Repost: KStars downloaded images blank

I have replicated your results w/ K12LTSP 3.1.1; KStars doesn't itself show anything but blackness in the "image" window, but I can save it and view it in, say, Eye of Gnome. I wanted to try it w/o any updates to 3.1.2, just in case that was it.

I've also tried it after updating to 3.1.2 (apt-get update, apt-get upgrade). My results now are less positive, because now KStars dies with ASSERT statements in qvaluelist.h (some Qt header).

Have you reported what you've found to the KStars maintaner(s)?

--TP

Terrell Prude', Jr. wrote:

I'll try it out this weekend and let you know what I find; I've got a server box handy that I can use for this purpose. I've just been so swamped this last week, otherwise I'd have this done for you by now.

--TP

Robert Arkiletian wrote:

***** Has anyone gotten KStars show image to work on a client ? *******

Update:
I stuck in a S3 virge gx2 and the same problem persists. I asked a friend about this and he asked a friend and he replied:
- This sort of problem is often due to inadequate support for graphics
acceleration. KStars as provided by Debian is dynamically linked to the
GL libraries. Perhaps he should check what package he's using to provide
libGL on his server; in an LTSP setup, something software-only like mesag3
might be worth trying.

- FWIW, I tried running KStars through an SSH tunnel (a possibly similar
scenario) and did observe the problem described (but with the DSS query
feature - a star with the SEDS option wasn't immediately handy): image
downloaded but only a blank image-viewer window appearing.  At the time
the image-viewer window appeared I got the following errors on the
console:

kstars: WARNING: KDE detected X Error: BadAccess (attempt to access private resource denied) \x0a
Major opcode: \x92
kstars: WARNING: KDE detected X Error: BadShmSeg (invalid shared segment parameter) \xab
Major opcode: \x92
kstars: WARNING: KDE detected X Error: BadShmSeg (invalid shared segment parameter) \xab
Major opcode: \x92

I can't figure out why KStars would need opengl support when it's only displaying jpg's and gif's.
***** Has anyone gotten KStars show image to work on a client ? *******

Robert Arkiletian