[K12OSN] Repost: KStars downloaded images blank

Terrell Prude', Jr. microman at cmosnetworks.com
Sun Jun 13 17:21:08 UTC 2004

I have replicated your results w/ K12LTSP 3.1.1; KStars doesn't itself
show anything but blackness in the "image" window, but I can save it and
view it in, say, Eye of Gnome.  I wanted to try it w/o any updates to
3.1.2, just in case that was it.

I've also tried it after updating to 3.1.2 (apt-get update, apt-get
upgrade).  My results now are less positive, because now KStars dies
with ASSERT statements in qvaluelist.h (some Qt header).

Have you reported what you've found to the KStars maintaner(s)?

--TP

Terrell Prude', Jr. wrote:

> I'll try it out this weekend and let you know what I find; I've got a
> server box handy that I can use for this purpose.  I've just been so
> swamped this last week, otherwise I'd have this done for you by now.
>
> --TP
>
> Robert Arkiletian wrote:
>
>> ***** Has anyone gotten KStars show image to work on a client ? *******
>>
>> Update:
>> I stuck in a S3 virge gx2 and the same problem persists. I asked a
>> friend about this and he asked a friend and he replied:
>> - This sort of problem is often due to inadequate support for graphics
>> acceleration.  KStars as provided by Debian is dynamically linked to the
>> GL libraries.  Perhaps he should check what package he's using to
>> provide
>> libGL on his server; in an LTSP setup, something software-only like
>> mesag3
>> might be worth trying.
>>
>> - FWIW, I tried running KStars through an SSH tunnel (a possibly similar
>> scenario) and did observe the problem described (but with the DSS query
>> feature - a star with the SEDS option wasn't immediately handy): image
>> downloaded but only a blank image-viewer window appearing.  At the time
>> the image-viewer window appeared I got the following errors on the
>> console:
>>
>> kstars: WARNING: KDE detected X Error: BadAccess (attempt to access
>> private resource denied) \x0a
>>  Major opcode:  \x92
>> kstars: WARNING: KDE detected X Error: BadShmSeg (invalid shared
>> segment parameter) \xab
>>  Major opcode:  \x92
>> kstars: WARNING: KDE detected X Error: BadShmSeg (invalid shared
>> segment parameter) \xab
>>  Major opcode:  \x92
>>
>> I can't figure out why KStars would need opengl support when it's
>> only displaying jpg's and gif's.
>> ***** Has anyone gotten KStars show image to work on a client ? *******
>>
>> Robert Arkiletian
>>
>> On Friday 04 June 2004 11:45 pm, Robert Arkiletian wrote:
>>

>>> Well all 30 of them use nvidia riva 128's but I do have a S3 trio64+
>>> and an
>>> old matrox sitting around. Thanks for the idea Terrell. I will pop
>>> out an
>>> nvidia card on one of them and test it out on monday. But I doubt it
>>> will
>>> make any difference because if I SAVE the image with KStars I can
>>> then view
>>> it with any image viewer (gimp, eog, web browsers). It's a real
>>> showstopper
>>> if you have to save and then open the image with another viewer