[ok-mail] RE: [K12OSN] setting the default KDE menus

John Hansknecht jhansknecht at hanstech.com
Sat Jun 12 01:45:10 UTC 2004

On Monday 07 June 2004 16:04, Joe Guenther wrote:
> On Friday I edited a bunch of changes in the KDE menus ... moved things
<SNIO
> Can someone tell me how that /var/lib/menu/kde system works.  What effect
> do changes have here?  What makes it go back to its default.  Where can I
> change what the defaults are like?

Redhat has it's own set of tools to control the menus,...and I believe there
is no menu editor with RedHat nine. I know that I modifiy my K12LTSP 3.x
using the following rather sloppy notes as a guide. (Please note that though
the notes often refer to gnome editing the master files as described also
updates KDE menus.)

menus are controled by
/etc/X11/desktop-menus  (highest level)
/usr/share/desktop-menu-files (folders on the menu)
individual menu and desktop item file locations
preferred = /usr/share/applications
legacy = /etc/X11/applnk, /usr/share/gnome/apps, /usr/share/applnk
Control Panel = /usr/share/control-centexer-2.0, /usr/share/gnome/capplets

1. Removing menu item from ALL desktops you must edit
/etc/X11/desktop-menus/applications.menu

2. For specific users you must do:

cd ~/.gnome2/vfolders
cp /etc/X11/desktop-menus/applications.menu applications.vfolder-info

and edit applications.vfolder-info

3. Edit specific menuitem files in specific folders (categories row).
Where gnome search his menu files is described in the beginning of
application.menu file.

As you see, application.menu consist from blocks very similar to gmome
menu hierarchy.
Every section describe his menu file and content word (maybe with AND /
OR way).

Every menu item file consist Categories row.
So, content word says, what menu files must be in this menu and it looks
from categoies row :)
That simple is it.

For example:

Games keyword is
<Keyword>Game</Keyword>

And some files in /usr/share/applications/ have word "Game" in content.
/usr/share/applications/gnome-gnibbles.desktop

Categories=GNOME;Application;Game;PuzzleGame;X-Red-Hat-Base;

You can make your own menus by adding new sections to applications.menu
and adding new items to Categories.

--

Thanks,

John

 system and Linus Torvalds claims to be trying to take over the world.
                - Mattrol at uscom.com (Drakmere)