[K12OSN] Linux kernel DoS exploit -- don't need root!

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Mon Jun 14 20:34:05 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-06-14 at 14:48, Calvin Park wrote:
> Yeah, I'm none too pleased. Oh well, I suppose I'm off to recompile the
> kernel.
>
> Eric, will the next version of K12 come "out of the box" with the patch?
> I know you might not have an answer for that right this second, or
> perhaps you've already answered it somewhere and I missed it. Thanks in
> advance.

'yum update' should grab the fix as soon as it is ready for each
release.  Fedora FC2 is already there as kernel-0-2.6-1.435.  I've
always questioned the wisdom of using old versions for 'stability'
because when a new exploit for anything is discovered the developers
will almost certainly fix tje most current code first and then the
backport patches into old versions take additional time.

---
  Les Mikesell
   les at futuresource.com