[K12OSN] Tell me why this doesn't work

k12osn at collinsoft.com k12osn at collinsoft.com
Tue Jun 15 01:12:26 UTC 2004

On Sun, 13 Jun 2004, David Trask wrote:
> "Support list for opensource software in schools." <k12osn at redhat.com>
> writes:
> >Anyway, our file servers run OS X server, offering authentication for the
> >Macs and LTSP over LDAP and run as a PDC for our Windows clients. The
> >macs
> >mount the home directories over AFP, LTSP over NFS, and the Windows
> >clients use SMB. The students can go to any machine in the building and
> >log in and automatically have access to their files. As soon as I test an
> >AppleWorks solution for LTSP this summer, I'll be a happy man.
>
> I actually have a dual processor Xserve with 512 mb RAM and a couple
> HD's....more on the way.  any idea how well the Xserve will serve LTSP
> homes via NFS?  Do you have a how-to for setting this up?

(I'm at home and don't have access to Workgroup Manager, so this
directions might be a little off.)

No real how-to. In Workgroup Manager I shared out the users home
sharepoint with NFS to the ltsp server. Mounted the share in
/Network/Servers/servername/Users since that is the homedir option set in
ldap for our users.

Performance seemed ok, but we only have 20 ltsp clients. They were
mounting over a 100mbps connection. I'm looking at adding a gigabit card
this summer to speed up file access.

--
Ryan Collins
Director of IT - Kenton City Schools