[K12OSN] VNC Terminal Services Prototype!

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Tue Jun 15 16:58:19 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-06-15 at 09:49, Petre Scheie wrote:
> But I think what McLoughlin and pals are working on will allow the session that
> is running on the server to continue running even if the vncviewer disconnects.
>   Right now, calling vncserver via xinetd gives you a regular login similar to
> what a thin client sees.  Likewise, when the vnc client disconnects, the session
> is shut down, just like when a thin client disconnects.  But McLoughlin's will
> allow the session on the server to keep running, allowing you to disconnect at
> one client, go to another client, reconnect, and your apps are still running.
> It makes it more akin to the way the vncserver on a Windows box works.

All you have to do is run vncserver and vncpasswd as a user to get a
long-running vnc server session that lets you connect and disconnect
as you want.  It is handy when you want to start something, disconnect,
then periodically reconnect to check on it but I don't think I'd
want to use vnc all the time.  There is also x0rfbserver which allows
you to connect to the same frame buffer used by the console X session
but with thin clients you'd have to be able to connect to the client
itself for this.  I thought the capability was supposed to be included
in the x server itself now but I haven't seen how to activate it.

---
  Les Mikesell
   les at futuresource.com