Re: [K12OSN] Practical limit to number of samba shares?

We have /home mapped to H:\  but it would be more elegant to have H:\ be
mapped directly to the student home folder. Does anyone know of any
reason not to set up 500 samba shares on one of our k12 severs?

I think you can automatically with Samba.

try something like:

[homes]
   comment = Home Directories
   ;browseable = no
   writable = yes
   valid users = %S
   users = %S
   create mode = 0664
   directory mode = 0775

then in your login script do a:
net use h: \\sambaserver\ userid"

otherwise you will have to continually maintain the shares when you add/remove a user. The above is all automatic.

If you still wanted an all homes share you could do:

[allhomes]
        comment = All Homes
        path = /home
        ;browesable = yes