[K12OSN] Re: Practical limit to number of samba shares?

John Baillie jbaillie at stmarys-school.org
Tue Jun 15 19:11:59 UTC 2004

Dan, Scott, Jim, Les,

Thanks for the incredibly quick responses!

The name on the mapped drive indicates H: is mapped to user name but it
opens up to /home

Here is a snip of the smb.conf
[global]
        logon path = \\%L\%U\.UserData
        workgroup = st_mary
        encrypt passwords = yes
        smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd
        logon home = \\isadore\homes

[homes]
   comment = Home Directories
   browseable = no
   writeable = yes
   preserve case = yes
   short preserve case = yes
   create mask = 0770
   hide dot files = yes
   hide files = floppy
   path = /home

NT 4.0 is the pdc, clients Win98 and 2000.

I have been contemplating retiring the NT server in favor of samba/ldap.
I've read through David Trasks pdf and it is looking doable.

-john