[K12OSN] Gnome flavor of kprinter?

Sudev Barar sudev at mantraonline.com
Wed Jun 16 00:34:32 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-06-15 at 21:05, Shawn Powers wrote:
> I love KDE.  I also like sound.  I can't have both in LTSP.  SO, I've
> been focusing on Gnome or ICEWM -- but printing has me befuddled a bit.
>
> Is there a Gnome version of "kprinter" or some such app?  Should I just
> use kprinter?
>
> Also, should I verse myself on standard linux LPR printer setups for my
> users?  This next year, I'll have users in 4 buildings connecting to the
> same LTSP server, and will need to give different groups different
> default printers.  I understand all the printers will be installed on
> the server, but for individual users (or even better, individual thin
> clients) is it possible to determine a default printer that is not the
> system default?
>
> I know that mozilla (by default) just uses standard lpr printing -- so a
> student hitting "print" will send the print job to the default printer
> on the system, which might be in another building!  (At which point,
> they hit print 73 times, assuming that will help)  I'm sure you see the
> chaos that ensues..
>
> Any tips on printing help?

Shawn,
In the standard K12LTSP (at least in ver 3) install a Gnome user gets a
"Printer" icon on his desktop. Clicking this opens up all the printers
available with the default printer highlighted. Now if a user right
clicks on the printer he wants to set as default and selects "Make
default" option this becomes his default printer.
HTH
--
Sudev Barar
Learning Linux