[K12OSN] scripts/scripting

Tim Litwiller tim at litwiller.net
Thu Jun 17 17:01:22 UTC 2004

Huck wrote:

> yum update finally finished after about 6 complaints about funky
> headers and having to re-run 'yum update' 6 times!!
> No more annoying red flashy thing on the taskbar!
>
> But...once again it hosed the gdm-conf and Xaccess and an xdm
> file...thus granting me the Grey X-windows screen with the big X
> cursor ; (

> So...I am wanting a script that "rotates" these files for me, one that
> copies these config files to a backup dir, then runs 'yum update'
> and after the update,  I can copy them back overwriting the freshly
> hosed files.

here is one way -

make a  file  that has the full path of all the config files you want to
save
nano /root/config_backup_list

/etc/X11/gdm/gdm.conf

then make the script file
#!/bin/sh
#
echo "backing up config files"
# make backup of config files
tar -czvf  /root/config_backup.tar.gz  --files-from=/root/config_backup_list
echo " running update procedure"
# put yum or apt-get automatated update command here -
# yum commands
yum -y update
# apt-get commands
# apt-get update
# apt-get -y upgrade
# restore config files
echo "restoring config files"
tar -zxvf  /root/config_backup.tar.gz  --files-from=/root/config_backup_list