Re: [K12OSN] server hardware advice needed

Eric Feldhusen wrote:
I can agree with that. I have 2 seperate file/print/nfs/web/samba servers for different districts running on 3ware 7508 parallel ata raid cards. The only problem I have is that I formatted the partitions as ext3 and there's some weird bug with 3ware cards and ext3. Lot's of continuous small read and writes slow down file transfer to about 4MB per second. If you use another journaled filesystem, XFS, ReiserFS, JFS,
I recently tried a reinstall of FC1 on an xfs partition. As a side note: it appears you have to label the partition when formatting it as xfs, reiser, etc. I booted with a knoppix cd and reformated my / partition as xfs but didn't label it. Then I booted with FC1 disc 1 with linux xfs boot options and tried to install. It could see the xfs partition, but the label was greyed out. The only thing I could do to change the label was to reformat as ext3 etc. I'll try it again in the future.