[K12OSN] server hardware advice needed

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Fri Jun 18 16:28:13 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-06-18 at 08:56, Dale Sykora wrote:

> I recently tried a reinstall of FC1 on an xfs partition.  As a side
> note: it appears you have to label the partition when formatting it as
> xfs, reiser, etc. I booted with a knoppix cd and reformated my /
> partition as xfs but didn't label it.  Then I booted with FC1 disc 1
> with linux xfs boot options and tried to install.  It could see the xfs
> partition, but the label was greyed out.  The only thing I could do to
> change the label was to reformat as ext3 etc.  I'll try it again in the
> future.

Maybe it would be easier to do the base install on a fairly small ext3
partition so you don't have to fight with it, then format your
choice of filesystem for /home and/or /var.  It is easy enough to
mount the new filesystem by hand in a temporary location, copy the
contents of the existing /var or /home directory onto it (cp -a)
then rename the old directory, make a new empty one for the mount
point, modify /etc/fstab to mount it in the right place, and reboot.
I used that approach to get /var on raid1/reiserfs back before the RH
installer knew how to do it.  Doing it this way you can put the
partition device name in fstab and you don't need a label.  If you
ever swap drives around among machines you'll learn to hate labels
pretty quickly...

---
  Les Mikesell
    les at futuresource.com