[K12OSN] Re: server hardware advice needed

John Baillie jbaillie at stmarys-school.org
Fri Jun 18 17:18:51 UTC 2004

FWIW we have 2 servers

one is a dell 2500 dual 900 Mhz with scsi raid on 3 9.X GB HDs and 3.5
GB RAM

the other is a white box with dual 1.7 Ghz, 4 GB RAM and a promise raid
controller with 4 40 GB IDE's.

The Lab has 40 terminals and either box on it's own will run the lab.
The white box being a noticeably better performer but not quick enough
to keep everyone from getting impatient. My experience has been that
either of these boxes will host 25 terminals running OO and mozilla.

A few people running the chess game starts to slow everything down as
does the java / flash sites our 1st and 2nd graders visit.

 /home is running off the dell and is shared via cross over cable on
it's own segment.

Both running K12LTSP 3.1.1 and using Gnome desktop.

2 1/2 years now and everyone is very satisfied with the lab.

-john