[K12OSN] Re: 1st try samba/ldap = (missing perl Net::LDAP and perl Net::LDAP::LDIF)

Chris Hobbs chobbs at silvervalley.k12.ca.us
Fri Jun 18 17:38:25 UTC 2004

John Baillie wrote:

>I got it stuck in my head that this part was done and verified at the
>cpan prompt. At some point I'd like to know why the mods show at cpan
>but still had to install rpms, but as long as it works...

I think I can explain this. When you attempted to install the
smbldap-tools RPM, rpm checked only its internal database to see if the
required RPMs are already installed. Since you used CPAN to install the
Net::LDAP bundle, rpm had no idea they were actually there. This would
be true of any package you installed from a source other than an RPM
package. For example, if you installed apache from source instead of an
RPM, any other RPM requiring apache would not install.

Had you chosen to install the smbldap-tools rpm with the '--nodeps'
flag, you would probably have had a perfectly fine working system, but I
don't blame you for finding and installing the Net-LDAP RPM, as that was
the safer way to handle it.

Hope this helps!

--
Chris Hobbs       Silver Valley Unified School District
Head geek:              Technology Services Coordinator
postmaster:               chobbs at silvervalley.k12.ca.us
pgp:  http://www.silvervalley.k12.ca.us/~chobbs/key.asc