Re: [K12OSN] OT...but I need help with postfix

Methinks you likely don't have Postfix started up. All SMTP daemons run on TCP 25 if they want to talk to anyone else. Check your process listing (ps ax) and see if you see something like this:

15765 ? S 5:03 /usr/libexec/postfix/master

If you don't, then you need to start up Postfix ("man postfix" should give you what you need).

--TP

Doug Gough wrote:

I can't find any answer to this question anywhere else, so I'm hoping
someone here has some ideas. I run Mandrake 10 as a general purpose
server at my school. I've installed Postfix, and it won't receive mail
from outside. When I run Nmap, it tells me that there is no Port 25.
Port 25 is listed in /etc/services so what's going on? Port 25 is opened
on the firewall as well, but it's just not there on the system.

Thanks,

Doug Gough