Re: [K12OSN] Distributed Samba deployment opinions?

Quentin Hartman wrote:
I have thought of a few solutions,

My real quick "off the cuff" response is to make sure you check out pgina.xpasystems.com -- it's GPL, and has kept me from setting Samba up as anything more than a fileserver (ie, no Domain/AD stuff at all). You can authenticate local boxes from a wide variety of places. It's great.

Apart from that -- you mention going between buildings. With the fileservers at each building, would users have separate documents at each building? Is that OK? Moving them, assuming a linux fileserver, is as simple as an rsync two-step if the person wishes to have documents moved (and with central authentication, ownership is already set)

There has been a lot of talk recently about rsyncing on logout, etc -- but I haven't followed those threads (Our buildings are all connected via fiber) -- but it might be worth looking into.

-Shawn

--
Shawn Powers
Technology Director