Re: [K12OSN] Distributed Samba deployment opinions?

Quentin Hartman wrote:
"smart enough" to transparently connect to their "home server" even if
they are at another building. This is rare enough that rsyncing everyone

I do something like this here, using DNS to be my "tool of transparency" -- so a persons home directory might be mounted on \\place1\homes -- and if they are at place1, it resolves to a local address, but if they are at place2, it resolves the remote address.

Please note to all the security mongers, VPNs etc could be added -- perhaps the T1s are private T1s though, and never touch the internet...

Anyway, separate DNS servers at each site might allow you to mangle *where* the mount actually goes to.

Just more thoughts,
-Shawn

--
Shawn Powers