[K12OSN] Distributed Samba deployment opinions?

Shawn Powers spowers at inlandlakes.org
Mon Jun 21 17:42:04 UTC 2004

Quentin Hartman wrote:
> "smart enough" to transparently connect to their "home server" even if
> they are at another building. This is rare enough that rsyncing everyone

I do something like this here, using DNS to be my "tool of transparency"
-- so a persons home directory might be mounted on  \\place1\homes --
and if they are at place1, it resolves to a local address, but if they
are at place2, it resolves the remote address.

Please note to all the security mongers, VPNs etc could be added --
perhaps the T1s are private T1s though, and never touch the internet...

Anyway, separate DNS servers at each site might allow you to mangle
*where* the mount actually goes to.

Just more thoughts,
-Shawn

--