Re: [K12OSN] K12LTSP vs. Skolelinux

Karolow, Mike [ITS] wrote:
I read that the Debian based Skolelinux just hit 1.0.  What I don't know
is how the two projects differ (aside from the Norwegian language
support).  Have any of you experimented with Skolelinux?  Why did you
choose K12LTSP in the end?  I'm trying to better understand what to
expect from one vs. the other.

I haven't used skolelinux at all, but my general reasons for sticking with K12LTSP:

* Active (VERY ACTIVE!!) support, here on the listserv.
* Redhat/Fedora is recognized by School Boards. Name brands help.
* The tweaks. The core developers of K12LTSP and of LTSP are very close. They are on the K12LTSP list all the time. They listen. That's not to say the Skolelinux folks don't listen, but I have no reason to change and see.

I'll be honest -- I don't really like Redhat/Fedora as my choice Linux distro. I'm a Debian man through and through. LTSP will work on Debian just fine, but so much work has gone into the K12LTSP distro, that its just silly not to use it.

Thank goodness it's open source and we get to choose, eh? :)

Good luck,
-Shawn

--
Shawn Powers