[K12OSN] K12LTSP vs. Skolelinux

Shawn Powers spowers at inlandlakes.org
Mon Jun 21 18:47:54 UTC 2004

Karolow, Mike [ITS] wrote:
> I read that the Debian based Skolelinux just hit 1.0.  What I don't know
> is how the two projects differ (aside from the Norwegian language
> support).  Have any of you experimented with Skolelinux?  Why did you
> choose K12LTSP in the end?  I'm trying to better understand what to
> expect from one vs. the other.

I haven't used skolelinux at all, but my general reasons for sticking
with K12LTSP:

* Active (VERY ACTIVE!!) support, here on the listserv.
* Redhat/Fedora is recognized by School Boards.  Name brands help.
* The tweaks.  The core developers of K12LTSP and of LTSP are very
close.  They are on the K12LTSP list all the time.  They listen.  That's
not to say the Skolelinux folks don't listen, but I have no reason to
change and see.

I'll be honest -- I don't really like Redhat/Fedora as my choice Linux
distro.  I'm a Debian man through and through.  LTSP will work on Debian
just fine, but so much work has gone into the K12LTSP distro, that its
just silly not to use it.

Thank goodness it's open source and we get to choose, eh?  :)

Good luck,
-Shawn

--
Shawn Powers