Re: [K12OSN] K12LTSP vs. Skolelinux

Andy,
Could you share your menu config for your teachers/students? Are they also using XFCE?
thanks,
Dennis

Andy Rabagliati wrote:
On Mon, 21 Jun 2004, Karolow, Mike [ITS] wrote:

I read that the Debian based Skolelinux just hit 1.0.  What I don't know
is how the two projects differ (aside from the Norwegian language
support).  Have any of you experimented with Skolelinux?  Why did you
choose K12LTSP in the end?  I'm trying to better understand what to
expect from one vs. the other.

I have installed my own thin client networks, using LTSP and a stock
Redhat / Fedora server, with xfce window manager.

http://wizzy.org.za/

I have also seen plenty of installs using K12LTSP - at

http://www.slug.org.za/

Both of these in South Africa.

K12LTSP is nice - a single box, does everything.

Redhat - I am a redhat guy.

However, I like the topology of Skolelinux. It has growth potential well
beyond the stock K12LTSP setup, with generic application servers, and
authentication and home directories kept on a separate, main, server.

Skolelinux splits the network. Application servers have two network
cards, one for booting and graphics to the clients, the other for
authentication and home directories to the main server. Sweet.

Both are Open Source. A knowledgeable administrator can /easily/ create
a standalone Skolelinux network, or a distributed K12LTSP network.

K12LTSP has a lot of junk on the menus - I do not need klettres - and
school teachers can become confused when asked about these.

I think a useful thing to do is pick a full-featured distro (either will
do) and put your work into a customised set of menus. As I said, I use xfce.

Cheers, Andy!