[K12OSN] Bigmem

Julius Szelagiewicz julius at turtle.com
Tue Jun 22 15:26:36 UTC 2004

> As I send out the PO for our new servers with 6GB of RAM -- I recall an
> issue with the bigmem kernel...  Is that still a problem?
>
> I'm not sure if K12LTSP 4.1 will be available when I need to install my
> servers for next year -- but if it solves a bigmem issue in 4.0.1, it
> might help me make the decision to go now or wait...  :)

Shawn, just make sure it is a 64bit mobo that can handle large memory
natively, otherwise you go into the grey area of "faking" the big memory.
i hear that some people had great success with it, my experience was
uniformly dismal on rh7.2 throug 9.0 and fedora 1 and 2 - the system is
slower and experiences random lockups. ymmv. julius