[K12OSN] K12LTSP vs. Skolelinux

Eric Harrison eharrison at mail.mesd.k12.or.us
Tue Jun 22 23:22:53 UTC 2004

On Mon, 21 Jun 2004, Shawn Powers wrote:

>distro.  I'm a Debian man through and through.  LTSP will work on Debian
>just fine, but so much work has gone into the K12LTSP distro, that its
>just silly not to use it.
>
>Thank goodness it's open source and we get to choose, eh?  :)

Choice is good, but freedom is even better. Not only are we free to choose
one or the other, we are free to take the best ideas from one and
incorporate them in the other.

I have one school district, for example, that is interested in looking
at Xandros. Since Xandros is based on Debian, I'm going to evaluate
Xandros and Skolelinux at the same time. If I can take the best work
in K12LTSP and Skolelinux and easily add it into Xandros, I could, in
theory, have something useful in a very short order.

The freedom to leverage a "competitors" work is very powerful, the sum
is greater than the parts.

-Eric