[K12OSN] NIS help

xyz xyz babaliciouse at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 23 15:20:53 UTC 2004

I am attempting to get NIS up and running as master on
server1 (acting as samba server) and as slave on
server 2 (acting as ltsp server). I understood that
having NIS would help me keep users and groups in sync
- I followed all the instructions on the HOW TO - but
i'm not seeing the passwd files on the slave looking
the same as master.

also, on server1 which runs samba and authenticates
all windows users i have a /shares directory
containing directories for managers, admins,
instructors and students and have created netlogon
scripts that map to these drives - depending on who
the user is.
eg, user xyz belongs to group manager and has access
to /home/xyz, /shares/manager, /shares/admins,
/shares/instructors

this is all great, but when i want to allow user xyz
to use a terminal that uses server2(ltsp) to login he
needs to be able to see his /home (which i have
mounted as nfs - so this works) as well as needs to
have access to the /shares - not sure how to do this
part.

your help is much appreciated -
(eagerly learning linux)