[K12OSN] Logging onto the server from a windows machine

Christopher K. Johnson ckjohnson at gwi.net
Wed Jun 23 23:47:09 UTC 2004

Bert Rolston wrote:

>VNC works well.
>
>I used it to remotely control / setup WIN boxes AND connect to my LTSP
>server anywher on campus.
>
>I suggest using one of the secure VNC versions like TightVNC.
>
>Check out some of the registry hacks available for VNC on the ORL
>website.
>
>Cheers,
>Bert

If you are doing anything to your server remotely that requires root
privileges and you are not using ssh or https or vpn to secure that
access, you might as well post the root password on the school bulletin
board.

The authors of VNC recommend tunneling it over SSH for security.

Will your locked-down PCs allow you to run java applets in the browser?
If so, you might want to check out how Derek Dresser has integrated the
SSHVNC applet with an LTSP server:
http://network.gouldacademy.org/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=21

Only a browser with java applet support is required on the client side.

   Chris Johnson, RHCE #807000448202021