[K12OSN] Ignorance is bliss..but this is outrageous...

Bill Kendrick nbs at sonic.net
Thu Jun 24 06:41:04 UTC 2004

On Mon, May 24, 2004 at 01:28:36AM -0500, Tim Litwiller wrote:
> #1 reason to not build a site in flash  - search engines will find no
> content at the site so no one will be able to find your site.   - If no
> one can find the site what is the point of building it.

I was desperately trying to find my car dealership's website today.
Kept landing on squatter-like 'search' sites that were paying for Google ad
space on the side.

Eventually I found it, and it was a barely readable imagemap (they had
resized it using width/height tags, causing it to become pixelated in Mozilla)
with a bunch of junk about downloading Flash plugin (even though I have it).

I then noticed the "<title>" of the page was something like:
"No Flash Player Detected".  Yeah, _THAT'S_ a useful title for the HOME PAGE
OF YOUR WEB SITE!  ARGH!!!

I just ended up calling them on the phone.  *sigh*

> #2 beginners should be taught about the building blocks of a web site,
> how to make the site accessable - flash makes a site inaccessable to
> handicapped and mobile browsers.

Yep!

> #3 the people that push flash the most are people converting from paper
> publishing and they think they have this new found freedom to create
> interactive sites - then they find out that in html  absolute
> positioning is not easy - different users have different sized screens
> etc.  so to get the exact layout they want they move to flash.

They should learn CSS.  Hell, _I_ should learn CSS! :^)

-bill!