[K12OSN] M$ Access replaement (hijacked for Rekall question)

Quentin Hartman qhartman at lane.k12.or.us
Thu Jun 24 14:34:19 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-06-24 at 06:44, Henry Hartley wrote:

> If you become root with "su -" instead of just "su" then root's path (and
> other environment settings) will be set properly and you won't need the
> "/sbin/" portion for service.

And an addendum to this tip, if you use "su -l", not only do you get
root's path and environment, but you stay in the current working
directory instead of getting dumped into /root. This can be handy if you
have traversed a long directory structure to do something, and you don't
want to have to traverse it again. Another fun trick, while we're on the
subject, is if for some reason you are on a box where you have sudo
access but do not know the root password is to use "sudo bash" to get to
a root shell.

--
-Regards-

-Quentin Hartman-