[K12OSN] Remote Management Problems

Hi Everyone...
I've got a Linux server setup at the school I work at and i've been attempting to manage it remotely using putty from my home machine. My home connection is a dsl line and the school connection is a dial up account. Currently I'm trying to update the machine, it runs gentoo so it compiles all the software but before I can get anything compiled the connection gets dropped (usually as a result of a disconnect on the 56k end) and the compile stops.
What i'd like to know is can i somehow get the emerge process to run in the background so that i can disconnect from the machine and keep it running. I live about 50km away from the school and only go in occasionally to perform various tasks if I could do these updates from home I'd be a happy man.

Cheers
Noel

Watch movie trailers online with the Xtra Broadband Channel http://xtra.co.nz/broadband