[K12OSN] Remote Management Problems

Josiah Ritchie jritchie at bible.edu
Fri Jun 25 17:27:13 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-06-25 at 08:18, Noel Corbett wrote:
> Hi Everyone...
> I've got a Linux server setup at the school I work at and i've been
> attempting to manage it remotely using putty from my home machine. My home
> connection is a dsl line and the school connection is a dial up account.
> Currently I'm trying to update the machine, it runs gentoo so it compiles
> all the software but before I can get anything compiled the connection gets
> dropped (usually as a result of a disconnect on the 56k end) and the compile
> stops.
> What i'd like to know is can i somehow get the emerge process to run in the
> background so that i can disconnect from the machine and keep it running.  I
> live about 50km away from the school and only go in occasionally to perform
> various tasks if I could do these updates from home I'd be a happy man.

I use Gentoo also and screen is the best solution. emerge doesn't work
well in the background as it keeps spitting out data. run screen and you
can have multiple terminals one of which can be emerge'ing and another
editing a config file. If you get kicked, screen detaches and keeps the
job running. You can pop in and re-attach to see how things are going,
then kick back out. You can also setup screen to divide the screen
between 2 different terminals. 'emerge screen' today. :-) It's almost
standard part of install for me anymore. I manage several Gentoo
servers/routers.

JSR/