[K12OSN] Samba/LDAP how-to in OO format

Chris Hobbs chobbs at silvervalley.k12.ca.us
Fri Jun 25 21:29:05 UTC 2004

David Trask wrote:

>http://web.vcs.u52.k12.me.us/linux/Samba-LDAP.sxw
>
>here's the Samba LDAP how-to in OO format

Hi David (et al):

I've now got my Samba3+LDAP test domain up and running, and wanted to
share a few places where I diverged from your tutorial, one major, one
annoying, and one trivial:

First the m,ajor one: please remove the "Set primary group script" line
from smb.conf -- from what I can gather it is really unneccessary, and
it makes it impossible to join NT4 clients to the domain. It must be a
bug in the smbldap-usermod script (true of both 8.4 and 8.5), but
commenting out that line saved what's left of my hair for the time being.

The annoying item we already discussed on the list last week: if you use
CPAN to install Crypt::SmbHash, you cannot install smbldap-tools*.rpm
without either specifying the --nodeps option to rpm or going through
the hassle of finding and installing athe Crypt_SmbHash rpm.

The minor nit is the section on registry key hacking on XP. Samba3 has
licked this one -- a fresh install of XP had no trouble joining the
Samba3 domain.

Other than those items, the howto as a whole is outstanding, and my new
domain is working well. In fact, I just figured out how to setup
replication so I can look at putting domain controllers out at all of my
schools.

Thanks again for all of your hard work David -- this type of document is
as important as writing code when it comes to getting people actually
using the software.

Hope this helps the next traveler out...

--
Chris Hobbs       Silver Valley Unified School District
Head geek:              Technology Services Coordinator
postmaster:               chobbs at silvervalley.k12.ca.us
pgp:  http://www.silvervalley.k12.ca.us/~chobbs/key.asc