Re: [K12OSN] Samba/LDAP how-to in OO format

David Trask wrote:

http://web.vcs.u52.k12.me.us/linux/Samba-LDAP.sxw

here's the Samba LDAP how-to in OO format

Hi David (et al):

I've now got my Samba3+LDAP test domain up and running, and wanted to share a few places where I diverged from your tutorial, one major, one annoying, and one trivial:

First the m,ajor one: please remove the "Set primary group script" line from smb.conf -- from what I can gather it is really unneccessary, and it makes it impossible to join NT4 clients to the domain. It must be a bug in the smbldap-usermod script (true of both 8.4 and 8.5), but commenting out that line saved what's left of my hair for the time being.

The annoying item we already discussed on the list last week: if you use CPAN to install Crypt::SmbHash, you cannot install smbldap-tools*.rpm without either specifying the --nodeps option to rpm or going through the hassle of finding and installing athe Crypt_SmbHash rpm.

The minor nit is the section on registry key hacking on XP. Samba3 has licked this one -- a fresh install of XP had no trouble joining the Samba3 domain.

Other than those items, the howto as a whole is outstanding, and my new domain is working well. In fact, I just figured out how to setup replication so I can look at putting domain controllers out at all of my schools.

Thanks again for all of your hard work David -- this type of document is as important as writing code when it comes to getting people actually using the software.

Hope this helps the next traveler out...

--
Chris Hobbs       Silver Valley Unified School District
Head geek:              Technology Services Coordinator