Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2004 07:51:55 -0700
From: Quentin Hartman <qhartman lane k12 or us>
Subject: Re: [K12OSN] Remote Management Problems
To: "Support list for opensource software in schools."
	<k12osn redhat com>

On Fri, 2004-06-25 at 05:18, Noel Corbett wrote:
What i'd like to know is can i somehow get the emerge process to run in the background so that i can disconnect from the machine and keep it running. I live about 50km away from the school and only go in occasionally to perform various tasks if I could do these updates from home I'd be a happy man.

I would use two tools to accomplish this, screen and the -f option for emerge. The -f option (ie- "emerge -f world") fetches all the files needed for that particular emerge process, but does not go on to compile them. This is handy for use on dial-up systems where big idle times can cause problems. Whenever I am running on a flaky link, I do "emerge -f blah && emerge blah", this runs the fetch and install one right after the other. The install will only get run if the fetch succeeds. Screen is a real gem for remote administration. Basically, it allows the same functionality of virtual terminals over a single ssh connection, and (the real nice part) anything running inside a screen process does not die if you disconnect. First install it "emerge screen", it's small so it won't take long. then just type "screen". It will look like it just cleared the screen, but now you are running a shell inside a new screen session. To create a new "vt" hit "ctrl-a" then "c" (for Create). To switch from session to session hit "ctrl-a" then "n" for the next one, or "ctrl-a" then "p" for the previous. To attach to a running screen process that is detached, type "screen -r" at a command prompt. These basic commands will get you going, but there is a lot more. Nice to see another Gentoo user on the list :).

--
-Regards-

-Quentin Hartman-

Technology Coordinator