[K12OSN] Ignorance is bliss..CSS is better

anthony baldwin anthonybaldwin at snet.net
Sat Jun 26 17:57:32 UTC 2004

Steve wrote:

>> I've been working with our web developer on fixing a problem that was
>> created years ago. Similar situation, use this product because it is
>> cool. However we have spent the last 6 months trying to clean up all
>> the problems/hacks. In the process we came across a great web page
>> aimed at the design industry. http://csszengarden.com/ Their goal is
>> to encourage designers to use a standard piece of validated html. They
>> are not allowed to change the html. They are allowed to change the css
>> to implement their designs. We actually showed this to our staff in an
>> effort to explain why correct, validated, html was more important in
>> the long run. Using standards means that web content does not break
>> down when viewed in different browsers. i.e They work in non IE
>> environments. So perhaps sharing this with the folks may help. It is
>> very pretty and we all know how much more important eye candy is over
>> content ;)
>

> Wow this is fantastic, I am trying to get to grips with css and this
> site ahs really motivated me.
>
> And now I can show people this and explain why it is important to get
> the foundations right.
>
> Lurking on this list has taught me alot :-)
> Steve

Lurking on this list has taught me alot :-)
I have to concur with that sentiment.
Anyway, I took y'all's advice and started to teach myself CSS.
School-Library.net had been previously laid out with tables and was a
bit messy.  Take a look at the difference CSS has made:

1. old index page: http://baldwinets.tripod.com/index_Copy_1.htm
2. new look: http://www.school-library.net
3. new SLN Linux page: http://linux.school-library.net

What do you think?