[K12OSN] /spool/mail question

Shawn Powers spowers at inlandlakes.org
Sun Jun 27 00:04:39 UTC 2004

This isn't LTSP specific -- but is there a proper way (or a reason NOT
to) to use NFS to export the /var/spool/mail directory from my email
server to all my LTSP servers?  It would make email programs a lot
easier to set up, since "local mail" would literally be the actual email
system mail.

I'm not sure what happens with someone on machine1 sends local mail to
username1 at the same time that username1 gets a *real* email on the
email server.  Does NFS locking work in this case?

I obviously don't want to break email -- but if all the computers shared
a common /var/spool/mail, it would add some convienience.

Anyone doing this?  Is this a common thing in *nix systems?  Is this an
insane idea?

Thanks a bunch,
-Shawn
--