[K12OSN] /spool/mail question

This isn't LTSP specific -- but is there a proper way (or a reason NOT to) to use NFS to export the /var/spool/mail directory from my email server to all my LTSP servers? It would make email programs a lot easier to set up, since "local mail" would literally be the actual email system mail.

I'm not sure what happens with someone on machine1 sends local mail to username1 at the same time that username1 gets a *real* email on the email server. Does NFS locking work in this case?

I obviously don't want to break email -- but if all the computers shared a common /var/spool/mail, it would add some convienience.

Anyone doing this? Is this a common thing in *nix systems? Is this an insane idea?

Thanks a bunch,
-Shawn
--
Shawn Powers