Re: [K12OSN] Windoze Terminal Server and K12LTSP

David:

You will need:

1) A MS OS license for each terminal (even though you won't use MS OS on the clients.)
2) A MS CAL for each terminal (~$7 each)
3) A MS Terminal CAL for each terminal (~$40 each)

For example, if you have 50 K12LTSP terminals that will access the MS Terminal Server (not necessarily concurrently), you will need 50 CALS, 50 TS CALS, and 50 MS OS licenses plus 50 licenses for any application (Offiice?).

Using K12LTSP for clients will not save you any software money at all. It may save you some hardware $$

It is exactly this kind of licensing **crap** that is driving us to K12LTSP.........

David Trask wrote:

Ok....I know nothing of Windows Terminal server 2003, but I do know that I
want to get completely away from imaging hard drives and all.  I also want
to make my entire network available to use thin clients and K12LTSP.  At
least for a couple more years I'm not sure I can switch completely away
from Windows.  I do know that rdesktop can be used to access a Windows
terminal server.  Here's my question:

I've been reading a lot about TSL's or Terminal server licenses for
Windows 2003 Terminal Server. Does this mean that I have to have some
special license server to use it with rdesktop or something like that? Those of you who run Windows Terminal server in an environment like
this...can you give me some advice? I'm exploring possibilities right now.

David N. Trask
Technology Teacher/Coordinator
Vassalboro Community School
dtrask vcs u52 k12 me us