[K12OSN] Windoze Terminal Server and K12LTSP

David Trask dtrask at vcs.u52.k12.me.us
Sun Jun 27 03:18:34 UTC 2004

"Support list for opensource software in schools." <k12osn at redhat.com>
writes:
>David:
>
>You will need:
>
>1)  A MS OS license for each terminal (even though you won't use MS OS
>on the clients.)
>2)  A MS CAL for each terminal (~$7 each)

*I have these already due to having the Core Desktop School Agreement
(don't use them currently...have no Windows servers that they connect to
:-)  )

>3)  A MS Terminal CAL for each terminal (~$40 each)

*I may buy these...simply to save time, effort, and $$$ on the hardware
end...I hate imaging machines.

>For example, if you have 50 K12LTSP terminals that will access the MS
>Terminal Server (not necessarily concurrently), you will need 50 CALS,
>50 TS CALS, and 50 MS OS licenses plus 50 licenses for any application
>(Offiice?).

*All set here due the aforementioned School Agreement

>Using K12LTSP for clients will not save you any software money at all.
>It may save you some hardware $$
>
>It is exactly this kind of licensing **crap** that is driving us to
>K12LTSP.........

AMEN!

David N. Trask
Technology Teacher/Coordinator