[K12OSN] Windoze Terminal Server and K12LTSP

Mike Oligney moligney at earthlink.net
Sun Jun 27 12:02:08 UTC 2004

Shawn:
This sounds correct. We are using MS terminal Services in addition we have a Cal for Citrix for each desktop. One grey area is the licensing for the MS apps if you meter the usage and they are open licenses. In other words they were not purchased installed on a particular PC. One help we have found is the MS Fresh Start program that allows a free Desktop license (W98 or W2k) for schools that are using donated PC,s. Saves $50.00 per station. Because of this program we did not switch to using Linux and Citrix on the desktop, which works very well by the way.
MIke

Few salesmen understand the licensing for terminal sessions.  Here's the
skinny as far as I know.  (someone correct me if I'm wrong)

For the "Microsoft way" to connect to a terminal server, using their
software, you are required to have:
(1) Server OS license.  then for the clients,

(1) OS license for the terminal (running win98 or winCE something like that)
(1) CAL for accessing the server
(1) TCAL for accesing the server as a terminal (and requesting a session)
(1) license for each app installed on the server.  ie, I have to have 75
Office 2003 licenses on the machine, whether or not more than 1 person
will actually *use* it -- I still have to have the license for all
possible connectees.

The way LTSP saves a little money is that there is no need for that
first license, ie the "Win98 or WinCE" on the terminal.  That's how LTSP
is the cheapest way to implement Microsoft Terminals.

I hope that is clear.  PLEASE realize that even if your salesman says
you only need a TCAL -- they are wrong.  You need a CAL and a TCAL for
each device or user.  (That's another twist, you can assign the licences
to specific units, or to specific users -- or a combination.  For most
folks like us, it's easiest to just get the license for each thin client.)

I'm still waiting for my servers to arrive -- but the notion of the
rdesktop -s flag is exciting, as it could just "embed" a windows app
into a standard linux desktop.  I like that idea. :)