Re: [K12OSN] Windoze Terminal Server and K12LTSP

David Trask wrote:

"Support list for opensource software in schools." <k12osn redhat com>
writes:

Do your apps run on WINE or CrossOver Office? If so, you'd avoid all of the above CAL/TCAL/WinServer licensing crap. And yes, it is complicated; I used to be a MS reseller a few years ago, and I had to be very careful when making a quote for someone, especially if it involved Windows Terminal Server.

How well does Crossover work on K12LTSP...anyone using it and can comment?

As a matter of fact, yes. I don't have many Windows apps at home anymore (don't need 'em :-) ), but I've got three apps running on my K12LTSP 3.1.2 box w/ Crossover 3.0.1 beta (I'm a Xover "advocate" for an app, so I get the betas). The three apps are Internet Exploder 6.0, 32-bit Word 6.0, and 32-bit Excel 5.0 (these last two are the NT versions from way back). I connect from terminals and run my apps quite nicely, though for the older Word and Excel versions I did have to manually make a desktop icon and push it to all desktops (not that hard). Note that help menus for the older Windows apps that use .HLP files might not work, but the apps themselves work like a champ. For "officially supported" apps like IE or MS Office 2000/XP, Xover automagically makes icons in the GNOME and KDE "start" menus for you. I'm trying to get an app called Time Matters from a friend of mine to try it out as well.

--TP