[K12OSN] importing and exporting student lists

Steve Wright paua at quicksilver.net.nz
Tue Mar 2 15:54:08 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-03-03 at 09:39, Les Mikesell wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-03-02 at 14:15, Steve Wright wrote:
> > On Wed, 2004-03-03 at 08:07, Kevin Boone wrote:
> > > for logins...I want to create an export file of the users on the k12ltsp
> > > server to import on redhat 8.0 and redhat 9.0 machines.
> >

> > this is an excellent idea.  I will roll some ideas around today.
> >
> > If anyone else has ideas IM me ICQ: 251446959 and we can PERL something
> > up.  ;-)
> >

> If the machines are going to be online at the same time, wouldn't the
> best approach be to import your password files to LDAP and let the
> others authenticate against it?

sounds good, but I know little about LDAP.

A simple script that will parse out /etc/passwd during --export and
utilise `adduser` during --import might suffice.

The same script might be useful for restoring a backup too, as such a
restore puts users' directories in place but not their account entries.

I am thinking that I have no system that I might test this on, and my
PERL is such that I must test every step of the way, so I am somewhat
limited here.

/steve