[K12OSN] new server serial ATA or SCSI - results on new 3ware card

Chris Kacoroski ckacoroski at nsd.org
Tue Mar 2 16:44:16 UTC 2004

Test equipment:
1. Sun V280 with single 10K ultra scsi disk, UFS filesystem
2. Apple xserve G5 with xserve array (ATA disks, fiber channel
interface, striped configuration, hfs+)
3. Xeon Redhat AS3 with 3ware raid (9-250GB ATA 7200 rpm disks, raid5
configuration, ext3)
4. Xeon Redhat AS3 with 3ware raid (2-36GB ATA 10000 rpm disks,
mirrored, ext3)

In summary, configuration 4 was about 4x-5x faster than configuration 1
and configuration 3 was about 2x faster than configuration 1 for many
small files (Postmark test).  For the read+find at the same time test
(http://www.linuxjournal.com/article.php?sid=6931) configuration 3 & 4
were about 20x faster.

The Apple xserve was all over the map, but in general it was about the
same or slower than a single scsi disk.

Please note that this was not a rigorous test.  Just something to
ballpark the performance of the 3ware raid card.

If you want the detailed results, I can send them to you (they are in
an excel spreadsheet).

cheers,

ski

--
"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it
   connected to the entire universe"		John Muir

Chris "Ski" Kacoroski, ckacoroski at nsd.org, 425-489-6263